NHBCOS Interview Spotlight
New Horizons Band of Colorado Springs has over 100 musician members. Each and every member has a unique life story to tell. We would like to introduce to you our fabulous musical family.
Getting to know Pama Beatty...
1. Were you named after anyone?
My parents wanted to name me Pamela but my middle name had to be Leah, family name. Pamela Leah didn't sound good so they cut it off. I have met one other Pama and her middle name was Lee. We were born about the same time, she in Pueblo and me here.
2. Where are you from?
Pure Colorado Springs girl - born, raised and all my boys were born here.
3. What band are you in?
Symphonic Band, although I played in Concert Band for a few years.
4. Do you play in more than 1 musical group?
They won't allow me to play ;-)
5. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
6. Do you have kids?
Four sons and hubby's count as kids too, eh?
7. Do you play more than 1 instrument?
As a percussionist I play LOTS! All mallets, piano, most drums and auxiliaries. Faves are tympani and mallets, piano is my go to feel good instrument.
8. What is your favorite dessert?
I seldom eat dessert but it would be chocolate chip cookies or brownies.
9. What do you do in your spare time?
People have spare time? During tax season I barely make band rehearsals. The rest of the year is listening to good music (I happen to be friends with some amazing musicians), biking, reading, camping, crocheting, Jazzercising, spending time with family.
10. What is or was your career?
Accounting and taxes. I am an Enrolled Agent.
11. What is your favorite type of music?
Rock and Roll, baby I have become more of a Jazz lover in recent years.
12. How did you get involved in music?
My parents started me singing with them when I was two. I got my great grandma's old upright piano and taught myself by ear and how to read music. Picked up drums at 10 years and never looked back.
13. What is your favorite Summer activity?
Spending time with friends/family on a patio or deck, enjoying the beauty of life.
14. Have you ever been to a different country?
15. Describe yourself in 3 words...
Loyal, loving, kind-hearted